Poo found on touchscreens tested in McDonald’s.

Poo found on touchscreens tested in McDonald’s.

Investigations by UK magazine. metro.co.uk found traces of faeces on every single McDonald’s touchscreen swabbed. Samples were taken from the new machines that have been rolled out at restaurants across the UK – every one of them had coliforms. According to senior lecturer in microbiology at London Metropolitan University Dr Paul Matawele said: ‘We were all surprised how much gut and faecal bacteria there was on the touchscreen machines. These cause the kind of infections that people pick up in hospitals.

For instance Enterococcus faecalis is part of the flora of gastrointestinal tracts of healthy humans and other mammals. It is notorious in hospitals for causing hospital acquired infections.

Unsuspecting diners choose their food on the touchscreens then head to the server to pick up their burgers more often than not without washing their hands. Patients told to stay away from hospital after major power cut A screen at one branch was found to have staphylococcus, a bacteria that can cause blood poisoning and toxic shock syndrome.

Dr Matawele said: ‘Seeing Staphylococcus on these machines is worrying because it is so contagious. ‘It starts around people’s noses, if they touch their nose with their fingers and then transfer it to the touchscreen someone else will get it, and if they have an open cut which it gets into, then it can be dangerous.

Culled: Metro.co.uk

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.